Monday, April 13, 2015

Back to the basics!

So sorry for not emailing everyone these past 2 weeks; still on the road of recovery, but I am doing my very best. The atonement is real! Please forgive me!!! :)

I can't believe that we are already at the end of this transfer...time if going by sooo fast . . . it’s scary! We have been able to find more people to teach, by asking EVERYONE, less actives, members, investigators for anyone who is interested in hearing the gospel. We have been able to see some success which has been awesome.

Me playing the ukulele!
Aloha!
It is so sad to see sooo many missionary's that will be going home in the next 3 months! I am not going to know anybody! Oh well, I get to make more new friends! I love serving my mission! It has been tough, but oh so rewarding. The district is going to be filled with new missionaries so we have a lot of changes coming up which is exciting in its own way.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak in church. I was able to participate in a missionary homecoming and boy was that tough.  I love it out here so much! My topic was one "how can I liken the events of the Apostasy and the Restoration to my life." I would have 15 minutes to speak and I had everything ready to go until I got a call from the bishopric who told me that i would only have 5 minutes. I said a little prayer on what I should say and then it came to me...My conversion story to the gospel! It was so funny!  There were over 400 members there so when I got up to introduce myself to begin talking I said, "Thanks for all of you who came today to hear me speak!" The members got a kick out of that! It was hilarious! Because I only had 5 minutes I let the spirit guide me on what I should say. It was so cool to not have to look at my notes and to just speak from the heart and look out into the audience, into many of the members faces. It was AWESOME! Anyway back to the spirit side of things!

Watch out Mr. Woods!
Very briefly I told about my conversion to the gospel. In a way it was similar to Joseph Smith’s. I had a question and prayed. I have always wanted to please people, didn't matter if I was happy, as long as others were happy, I was happy. I went to church, read my scriptures, prayed, did all of the things "good boys" would do. I was dancing, but wasn't really hearing the music. I needed to develop a testimony of my own. I began to pray and read my scriptures more sincerely. I asked Heavenly Father if this church was true. My answer was among the lines of, "Why are you asking me, you already know it is true!" I know that we can receive revelation through DAILY prayer and scripture study! If you ever have a question ALWAYS go to the source. We have a Heavenly Father who loves and cares for us. Draw closer to him and our savior Jesus Christ through daily prayer and scripture study. I have been so blessed to have been able to develop a habit of daily study on my mission, and boy does it make a difference. If you aren't reading your scriptures and praying daily, individually, and with your family, I plead with you to make it a priority. We receive so much strength when we do the basics of the gospel. We are blessed with Holy Ghost to give us comfort, direction, guidance, and peace. Your sacrifice to read and pray daily will NEVER be wasted I promise you!

Diego, the first investigator I interviewed
to be baptized! He is so awesome!

I am so blessed to be a member of the restored gospel in these latter days! If there is anyone who is struggling with their testimony always remember to return to the basics: prayer, scripture study, and church attendance. If you are just dancing or going through the motions of living the gospel, please listen to the music! Develop your testimony!

Live and love the gospel! Always remember who you are! You are all AMAZING! That is why you are my friends! haha!

I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week full of success and happiness! Don't you ever quit! ;)

All my love,
Elder Shaw


No comments:

Post a Comment