Friday, October 2, 2015

Happy Monday everyone!

Crazy to think that we are almost in October . . . well you know what they say . . . time flies when you are having fun! ;)



Had another great week! We had a Sunday miracle!! We had 6 investigators at church!! It was crazy!!! We were swamped with people. It was so neat . . . we had one of our investigators go up and give his testimony . . . he did such an amazing job! We are so proud of him.
Dinner Before Transfers
Just been tying up loose ends before this transfer ends. I am pretty sure that I will be leaving. I feel like I am needed elsewhere. It’s going to be soooo hard to leave. I have loved my time here in Hillsboro. I have grown a lot and I have so much love for the people here! It is bitter sweet . . . sweet for all that we have accomplished here, the people I have met, and the experiences I have had, but also bitter having to leave a piece of my heart here. On the bright side though I get to have a new area with new people and new adventures! ;) That makes everything better!

Now a brief run-down of how the week has been:

On Tues to Weds we were able to finish our last exchange of the transfer. I went over to Hillsboro with a new missionary, Elder Benesch (from Gilbert AZ). It was cool to be reminded of when I first was out on my mission. It was crazy how much I have found myself these past 14 months. I know who I am and I have learned a ton about who I really am. Cool to see new missionaries begin to find themselves as they lose themselves in the Lords work! We were able to see several miracles on the exchange. One, that I can actually chop and stack a ton of wood in my church clothes ;) (who knew?? haha It was so funny . . . super awkward . . . I was drenched in sweat and was a mess). Another miracle was that we were able to find a couple of new investigators as we "Teach where we find, and find where we teach." It was neat.


On Thurs we finally finished contacting all of the part member families in the ward! Yay! Then on Friday we had a weird experience. So we tried contacting an investigator on Weds who wasn't home. We left a card with our names and number. We received a voice mail later the next day of him asking us to come over. On Friday evening we stopped by. When we knocked on the door, he swung open the door real fast making me jump in the process. He invited us to come inside. We did and as I walked in the house it was super stuffy and reeked of alcohol. It was super sketchy. We went inside and he burst into tears and opened up to us with the many struggles he was facing. We talked about the Book of Mormon and how it can give us peace in this life and how the atonement of Jesus Christ can cleanse us and we can be forgiven of our sins. He was touched and asked for a priesthood blessing. As I gave him the blessing we knelt  and I could feel how much heavenly father loved this man even with all of the mistakes he has made. Afterwords, we left him with a word of prayer and as we did he wept. I felt tears swell up in my eyes as I could picture him kneeling and weeping at the saviors feet. I then compared this to how we all kneel, weep, ask, and beg God for forgiveness to do better and to be better.  When we were done I gave him a big hug and told him how much his father in heaven and the savior loves him. He was able to come to church this past week and we will start teaching him the missionary discussions!


On Saturday, we had a stake service opportunity to help out at a women's half marathon. Our zone was there to be guides and cheerleaders for the passing women. It was a lot of fun!






I hope that everyone has a wonderful week and remember how special they are! I love you all soooo much!

Scripture for the week:

2 Nephi 2:6-8

          Wherefore, redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah; for he
          is full of grace and truth.

          Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of
          the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit;
          and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.

          Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto
          the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no
          flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the
          merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his
          life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the
          Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being
          the first that should rise.

Love,
Elder Shaw

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner at the Matteson's
Brother and Sister Shaw - Bishop Matteson here of the Cornell Ward. Wanted to let you know we absolutely love your son and the service he is providing for the Lord in our ward. He has a great testimony and my kids absolutely love him. We're a bit nervous he will be transferred soon and if he is he will be missed as I'm sure you're all too aware. This is a recent picture from dinner the other day. Thanks for supporting your son in the field so he can bless the lives of others. 

Bishop Matteson





No comments:

Post a Comment