Wednesday, June 8, 2016

June is HERE! 

So is the heat! It has been in the 100's over the weekend. It makes Oregon feel like more of my home haha. I am sooo happy and blessed that we have a car. It has been super toasty and add the humidity it hasn't been my favorite. Our apartment, like most places here, don't all have AC so it has been super warm and muggy. EVERYBODY and their dog left this weekend for the beach. It was super funny tracting...almost NOBODY was home. They all left trying to escape the heat. On the bright side I was able to get some color so I am not so pasty white.......maybe even a tan? ;)

It was a busy, fun filled week this past week. In the ward we have been starting ultimate frisbee every evening for family home evening. It has been soooooo much fun! The Kramers in our ward have kicked it off. We will be playing tonight at 7 and will have a lot of non-members there. We are stoaked!


This past tues I went on an exchange with the Sunset Hill Elders. I went over there with Elder Prestgard and I'll be honest, I LOVED being on a bike. (Probably because I knew it wasn't permanent). It was super hot though. We were running to and from our appointments. We had some service with a less active where we trimmed some of her bushes and trees back. We had a couple lessons with some investigators and MRL's with members. At the end of the day I was so salty (not attitude of course, but because of sweat and heat;). It was a fun exchange full of little miracles.

On Wednesday, we finished the exchange and then went over to Joan's Blueberry Farm to help her weed and get things prepared for the blueberry season among us. It was great to be in the sun and we got a lot accomplished. She is the sweetest lady. The sisters have been trying to teach her, but she is a very free spirit-> very much into nature and animals. After service, we went on a split with Bro. Defnet and Bro. Jeremy Thelin to cover two lessons we scheduled that day. Bro Defnet went with Elder Valentine to teach Nels and Bro Thelin and I went over to Hennilee's house. We were able to see the entire family: Kayla (age 11), Kyle (age 6), Hennilee and we were able to meet the dad Grant. We taught a short lesson since they were super busy and set up a return appointment for this tues at 5. We are hoping that this is one of the families that we have been praying for to teach and baptize. After our short lesson I took bro Thelin tracting and he was impressed with what we did. I also the some of the greatest conversations with him. Again, love the Thelins. We then reunited and then Bro Thelin took us out to Shari's which was the bomb.com. I have fallen in love with their s'mores pie shake...mmmm it is soooo good!!!!

Thursday I had my last zone meeting...it was weird so I tried not to think to much about it. I had my last stewardship interview with President Ballard. I love him!! So grateful to have had him as my mission president these past 2 years. I have learned much from his example and service. He talked about how he has a special place in his heart for me and for those that come to the field with me since we were his first group. We then talked about the area and I guess I am doing an amazing job with the members? It is so easy to feel like your efforts aren't taking things anywhere, but it was so good to hear how it has been making an effort. The ward loves us yay!! We then talked about how next transfer would look like. It is in a toss up. I could stay and Elder Valentine could leave or he could stay and I leave. I am pushing to have Elder Valentine stay because I know that as a new missionary have the opportunity to take over an area can be difficult, but all of the things you learn and grow makes it worth it. We shall see what happens?


Friday Food Bank! Nice to escape the heat and participate in the fresh alliance at the food bank. Always a blast. We then went tracting some more and had a couple of member referral lessons. Then on Saturday we had our morning sports with the youth and played some tennis at the park and did some Zumba. It was a blast! Then for lunch we had jumba juice. I got the usual Caribbean Passion...mmmm so good! We then met up as a district and had our weekly "chalk in the park," (where we draw the plan of salvation at several parks in the area) and then did a "car wash demo at the church. Everything seems to be coming together which makes me less stressed and even more happy. We then had our usual Saturday blitz. We went to the Sunset Hills area and I tracted with Elder Anderson. I had 3 awkward moments in the row when we went tracting. I was talking to this lady who was doing some yard work outside and asked her if she needed any help. She said no and then I was trying to strike up a conversation with her, but then she literally ran inside the garage, closed it and slammed the door behind her...mmmm awk. The next house we knocked on a crusty member (we don't know if she is active or not) she answered and told us that she was already LDS...mmmm awk. Then the last house we knocked and I rang the doorbell, but you know sometimes the doorbell likes to stick and so I accidentally rang it again...AT LEAST 3 times. There was a party going on inside that we didn't know of so I guess I was just adding some more music to the party. Hehehe! After the blitz we contacted some less actives and then had dinner with our bishop. He smoked the best chicken ever. Mmmmhmmm goood! We love the wilsons. After dinner and our message we were able to swing on their 3 swings which was hilarious...you know me always making things goofy. :)

Sunday Funday! We had a great fast and testimony meetings...so weird that I only have 1 more...ugh I got a little emotional, but kept my cool. The services were great! We then met for choir practice and prepared for our performance next Sunday. We also were asked to sing with the primary on Father's Day "We'll Bring the World His Truth." I love that song...I hope I can keep it together!

Things have been pretty fine and dandy here. Just having the time of my life. Today for p-day we are going over to Justin and Ashley Thelin's home to play in their gym, volleyball outside, and to gorge ourselves in Kalua pork! 😋 it's gonna be fun!!

For a thought this week I would like to leave 2 quotes that I found that I absolutely love!


President Gordon B. Hinckley has said: “It is very important to be happy in this work. We have a lot of gloomy people in the Church because they do not understand, I guess, that this is the gospel of happiness. It is something to be happy about, to get excited about.”

“… Service keeps us from forgetting the Lord our God, because being among and serving our brothers and sisters reminds us that Father is ever there and is pleased when we serve, for while the recipients of our service are our neighbors, they are His children.” Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Giving service=receiving happiness

I love you all and I am grateful for your love and support. Special prayers to Lana Tucker, Packer Family, and many others who are going through some difficult times. We love you, the lord loves you and knows your pains and sufferings. Keep pressing forward with a steadfastness in Christ having a brightness of hope and love for God.

Love you!

Elder Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment