Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Happy Monday everyone!!!

Hope everyone had a great week! Another great week is yet to come! :)

This past week has been busy, but great! With attending several leadership meetings, training a new zone leader, working with the new zone, building up our teaching pool, and teaching 20 lessons we have been go, go, go. Time always flies by so fast! So a little run down on how the week has been . . .


Monday was the 1st official "Transfer Swap." I surprisingly liked it a lot more. It made saying, "see you later," a lot easier on me. We met at the Lake Oswego stake center at 3pm and had an hour to say goodbye, take pictures, and talk with a lot of other missionary's. 

See ya Laters!
Then when it was 4pm we gathered around the hallways and sang "Called to Serve," with our mission lyrics and greeted the new missionary's through “the tunnel” and also said short goodbyes to all of the departing missionary's as they were heading out to the van. It was like ripping off a Band-Aid. It stung at first, but then after a while it got better. After the transfer swap, Elder Kaiser and I headed back to the Morris's had our annual transfer dinner with them to introduce the elder and then had family home evening with them, the Thomas's and Norma. Then, Tues-Thurs we were able to contact and meet with all of our investigators and set up weekly appointments with them . . . YES!!!! Finally!! It feels great to get things a bit more organized. The Eller family is praying for a date: Jai and Stephanie, and Jai's daughter Lexya. It was awesome. So we just began teaching Lexya when she showed an interest in going to primary and now she is just on fire. She is 10 and makes it to church each week, no matter if Jai or Stephanie come. She reads from the Book of Mormon every day and has that burning desire that every missionary craves. While we were talking with Jai and Stephanie about prayerfully setting a new date, Lexya said, "Can I come to watch my parents get baptized?" I said, “Lexya, not only can you come, but you can be baptized as well." She nearly flipped out of her chair! She was soooo excited! She will be the driving force with getting Jai and Stephanie going. We also met with Teri, Rolando and Adelene, and contacted several other investigators and set up weekly lessons with them. The goal this transfer is to get some baptisms!!! :) Going to roll up our sleeves and give it all we’ve got! On Friday, we had the privilege of hearing from an apostle of the Lord, Elder M. Russell Ballard. This has been his 2nd time visiting the mission since I have been here. He stopped by to visit with the grandkids and we had the golden opportunity to hear from him. He opened the conference up with several questions and then we had a Q and A and he left us with a blessing. It was short and brief, but very powerful. It was what I needed. Right after the conference, we had a leadership meeting with him and I will always remember what I learned. We asked Elder Ballard what his motivation was to keep going and to loose himself in the service of others. He said one of the most profound things on my mission. He pulled out a picture of the Savior and said that the Savior keeps him going. Every time that he feels weak, or tired, he remembers the Savior; he goes to Gethsemane in his mind. What an amazing example. It allowed me to reflect and refocus on why I came on a mission and gave me much more needed strength. It brought into question, how much do I really love the Savior. It was exactly what I needed. I am at the point where the mission just feels and seems like it is my new life and I began to just go through the motions. It helped me to focus more on my purpose, gave me a boost of strength and encouragement, and it helped me remember how much my Savior knows and loves me. Everything that I experience, whether it has been good or bad, has been felt by my Savior. He has been there for me. I am not on a mission for me, but for him. I owe him at least that. So grateful for his love and strength. When I am weak he helps me to become strong. 


The rest of the week we had the annual Hillsboro Air Show, going on Saturday and Sunday which was an excellent opportunity to talk with people and find more people to teach. Not only was the show amazing, but we were able to have great conversations with many different people. It was a blast. Also, we have been working real hard in the Cornell Ward to contact the many potential investigators in our area book. We would pray on who to visit and then after we have chosen who we should stop by we would contact all of the other potentials in the area. It has been very successful. We had a woman named Ava who invited us to come back and have a lesson with her and the rest of her family. It was a miracle! I have been praying hard to have more faith with finding and heavenly father blessed me with a tender mercy. I have finally developed the drive and faith to find! :)


That is pretty much it to report on this past week. Just working hard on making sure that our area can stand as an example to the other areas in the zone so we can motivate the other missionary's to continue to work hard and find success. At times it can be very stressful, but I love helping out with the different companionships in the zone and watch them succeed. That is the reward; helping others reach their true potential (Plus side, I get lifted too! ;)


I hope that everyone has a wonderful week this week! Always remember the Savior. He loves YOU! Reach out, and cry out to him and watch miracles happen. We can reach our true potential as we are humble and draw close to him by prayer, scripture study, and by serving others! Always have an attitude of charity and watch your life become filled with joy!


Scripture for the Week:

Matthew 16:25
"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and
whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

May we lose ourselves in the Lords work as we do small acts of service every day. It is when we lose ourselves that we actually find ourselves.

Have the best week ever!!

Love you all!
Elder Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment