Monday, October 6, 2014

Hey everyone!


What a great week it was last week! First off, the leaves on the trees are actually changing color before the fall off! Red, orange, and yellow-It is so beautiful! The Lord is being kind to me and has blessed me with sunshine here, but I have a feeling that it isn't going to last long! :/ We had rain on Monday, but it wasn't like the rain in AZ it was like a refreshing mist! It was wonderful! Then the weather started to heat up. It was crazy! It was only 85 degrees and I was dying from the heat! It's going to be hard to adjust to the heat when I get back to AZ! Thank goodness that isn't anytime soon! ha Anyway, I love it up here! Hopefully it is starting to cool off for you guys in AZ!

The work has started to slow out here concerning our investigators. We have been able to find some less active families to teach and prepare to go to the temple so that within itself is a blessing. The Lord has opened some of the less actives doors and we have been so blessed to help them on their journey back to Christ. Less active members of the Christ are just as important as new converts or investigators. "The worth of souls is great in the sight of God!" I feel so blessed to be a missionary! I absolutely LOVE having the time and opportunity to give the Lord my entire heart and soul. It is such a rewarding experience to serve god, although at times it may be overwhelming and difficult.

This weekend felt like Christmas. This week we were anxiously waiting to watch conference and then it finally came, but went way to fast! (just like Christmas!) General Conference!!!! We were planning on watching conference with our investigators, but they bailed! :( Elder Olsen and I were able to go to the stake center and watch it there with the other missionaries in our zone! It was so much fun!  Conference was simply AMAZING!  I loved the messages shared in conference! I wanted to share with you all one of my favorite talks by Jorg Klenbingat who talked about self-doubt. As human beings we all have doubts. Whether it be within ourselves or, in the world around us. Doubt is part of our human experience. Brother Klenbingat said, "There will always be self-doubt. We can get rid of these feelings by:  1) Applying the atonement and take responsibility for your spiritual self   2) Take responsibility for your physical body (exercise, eat good etc).  3) Embrace and obey the commandments   4) Repent daily   5) Be forgiving   6) Accept trials as experience under all circumstances and acknowledge your weaknesses, but don't let them control you..."


There were things in Conference for everybody!  I can't wait to watch the talks over again!

Satan likes to make us feel like we are worthless and that because of our previous mistakes we aren't able to achieve all that our Heavenly Father has for us, but this is a LIE! If we weren't worth something, then why would Christ go through the pain, sufferings, and afflictions for us and for our mistakes? Why would someone sacrifice themselves for something that wasn't of great worth? We all matter to God! He loves and cares for us deeply. We all make mistakes. We all can feel guilty at times. It is part of being human, but we can't let our mistakes take over our lives. There is hope for us! Jesus Christ and his atonement. Christ atonement can make bad men good, good men better and can change our human nature! I know that through Christ we can be strengthened, uplifted, encouraged, and edified. Whenever we have doubts don't let it over affect your testimony! Apply what President Uchtdorf said last conference, "Doubt your doubts, before you doubt your faith." There have been several instances on my mission where people have yelled at us, cursed us, and said that what we are saying isn't true. I know without a doubt that this church is true! Don't let anything or anyone keep you from the gospel! We all are on a journey back to our heavenly father! Don't let what others think, say, or do affect your salvation!


So a little bit on what happened last week on P-Day. We went to the amazing food carts! There is 2 blocks full of food carts! It was awesome to see all of the different foods! We then went to Powell books and looked around! We then took the street car over to Salt and Straw, an amazingly weird ice cream shop that has flavors like lavender, and blue cheese...yuck! I stayed original and got Rocky Road! There were so many people downtown! I felt a little bit overwhelmed! In Estacada you hardly see people, but downtown Portland reminds me of New York. It was weird having people stare at you. Anyway it was so much fun! We went with the Tickle Creek elders, Sandy sisters, and the Damascus sisters in our zone! I love meeting new people!


There have been a couple of changes in the mission. There are no longer senior and junior companions, companions can take turns driving the cars (yep that means me so look out!), and now we have 3 districts in our zone. Before we had only 2 so now our districts are even smaller. We lost the Sandy sisters, but we are still with Tickle Creek, the Peterson's, the Kimball's (another senior couple in Gresham), and us! I am so excited for Zone conference this week! We get to watch "Meet the Mormons!" I am soooo excited! Oh and I completely forgot to tell you that 2 weeks ago we had a mission tour (it’s when a member from the 70 talks to us) with Elder Johnson! It was great!

I know that our savior lives and loves us! I know that this church is true and that as we follow and obey the commandments we will find joy!  I know that as we do the right things with the right reasons that we can receive so many blessings for our Heavenly Father!


I love and miss you all! I hope that each and every one of you had the chance to watch conference! There are great messages shared for each of us personally! Have an awesome week and remember who you are and how much potential you have!

Lots of Love,
Elder Shaw




 P.S I saw this on facebook and loved it! 
 Let us sort out our priorities! 

No comments:

Post a Comment