Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Song for Our Son -

The night before Elder Shaw was to depart for his mission, his father shared with him a heartfelt song at the dinner table.  It made for a cherished memory.  The words and music for the song were by Joyce Claridge Jacobson and captured the feelings of a parent's heart for their missionary son. Following are the words to the song:

A Missionary, My Son, Are You


I think of you, a little boy,
And all you've done, and all the joy;
And now you've grown into a man
And life you live the best you can.
While you, my son are far away, 
I'll pray for you, both night and day;
And always know you're in my heart,
For that, my son, you're such a part.

The new adventure that you face,
I know this time you will not waste,
For there are those who wait for you,
And know that what you say is true,
Who want to hear the gospel plan,
And gain the knowledge that they can;
To know what's right and seek the truth
From you, my son, while in your youth.

The days when you feel all alone,
And maybe feel so far from home,
And not a kind word came your way;
Remember, son, to kneel and pray.
For one can help you from above, 
And know of his sure lasting love,
And as you kneel, know I kneel too,
And pray he watches over you.

For there are days when I'll feel blue
And think of you the whole day through,
But know, my son, that you are blessed
And loved far more than words expressed.
While you, my son, are far away,
I pray for you both night and day,
And always know you're in my heart,
For that, my son, you're such a part.

Doors will open when you knock,
And you, my son, will feed the flock,
And those who hear the word you say
Will listen with their hearts and pray,
To know what's right and seek the truth,
From you, my son, while in your youth.

So spread His word in all you do, 
A Missionary, my son, are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment